Wednesday, November 11, 2015

Herbalicious




My little herb garden has done really well this summer! I grew oregano, sage, dill, basil, rosemary, bell peppers, jalapeno peppers, and serrano peppers.  Overall my little herb garden did very well, but the dill did not survive. Not sure if it didn't get enough sun or if it was a bad plant from the get go.  The basil and rosemary did well, but they were on the bottom and got less sunlight.  Next year I will put the basil and rosemary on the top. 

I love using fresh herbs in recipes and cooked with basil, sage, and oregano the most.  I used sage in a chicken saltimbocca recipe and it was delicious! The oregano I used in a one pot pasta recipe and the basil I used in a caprese pasta salad. Fresh herbs make all the difference. 

The oregano grew like a weed!  I had so much oregano, that I decided to dry some of it. 


I cut a bunch of oregano off, washed the dirt off, and bundled it into 4 sections.  I tied each bundle with some rope.  I then hung the rope by a hanger inside to dry. This made the kitchen smell so good!


...  and 4 days later the oregano was dried.  I removed the dried oregano from the rope and pulled the pieces of oregano off and crumbled them to make smaller pieces. My dried oregano filled 2 spice containers- this should last a while!!!  It would cost more to buy dried oregano at the store than to buy the plant and I had fun in the process :)


Now that the leaves are falling and it is chilly in the evenings, I decided to move a few of my herbs inside.  I planted the rosemary, basil, sage, and oregano in small pots and placed them in a window sill that gets sun.  An ideal location would be in a kitchen window, but our house is so shaded that it was hard to find a place that gets sun.  So the great room window now houses my little inside herb garden. 







No comments:

Post a Comment