Our painting adventure continued by tackling the most complicated area yet... the hallway! The hallways needed be painted- we had some drywall patching to do and were finally ready to get rid of that orange wall in the staircase.
The hardest part of painting was picking out the colors! I wanted a greyish tan to take the house out of the 70s and make it feel more modern. I put 4 paint samples up on the wall on both floors and stared at them for over a month. I think this drove Matt crazy :) I was trying to find one color to paint the 1st floor hallway, stairwell, and second floor hallway. It is amazing how different the colors looked on each floor! Our first floor has hardwood floors and wood trim while upstairs has white carpet and white trim. Our solution...2 different paint colors. We decided to go with Revere Pewter for the staircase and upstairs hallway and Edgecomb Gray for the first floor hallway.
Now for the prep work. We removed the intercom from the first floor hallway which left a huge hole in the wall. We also had some settlement and nail pops in the staircase that needed some attention. I can't wait credit for the drywall work- Matt did an amazing drywall job!
Painting the hallways was fairly easy- Matt would edge and I would roll. Bailey even tried to help paint and ended up with paint all over her tail :)
Bye bye orange wall..... Matt set up the adjustable ladder on the stairs to that he could reach the top of the ceiling above the staircase. This made me nervous, but I was glad I didn't have to climb that ladder! Painting the staircase was definitely teamwork: Matt would paint while I held the ladder and handed him the paintbrush.
It took us about 3 days to finish, but I absolutely love how it turned out!!! And now to show off all of our hard work..before and after pictures :)
First Floor Hallway:
Benjamin Moore Edgecomb Gray